Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Immigrants brought to U.S. as children are asking judges to uphold protections against deportation -Elevate Capital Network
Johnathan Walker:Immigrants brought to U.S. as children are asking judges to uphold protections against deportation
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 07:08:28
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Immigrants who grew up in the United States after being brought here illegally as children will be Johnathan Walkeramong demonstrators outside a federal courthouse in New Orleans on Thursday as three appellate judges hear arguments over the Biden administration’s policy shielding them from deportation.
At stake in the long legal battle playing out at the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is the future of about 535,000 people who have long-established lives in the U.S., even though they don’t hold citizenship or legal residency status and they live with the possibility of eventual deportation.
“No matter what is said and done, I choose the U.S. and I have the responsibility to make it a better place for all of us,” Greisa Martinez Rosas, said Wednesday. She is a beneficiary of the policy and a leader of the advocacy group United We Dream. She plans to travel from Arizona to attend a rally near the court, where hundreds of the policy’s supporters are expected to gather.
The panel hearing arguments won’t rule immediately. Whatever they decide, the case will almost certainly wind up at the U.S. Supreme Court.
Former President Barack Obama first put the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program in place in 2012, citing inaction by Congress on legislation aimed at giving those brought to the U.S. as youngsters a path to legal status and citizenship. Years of litigation followed. President Joe Biden renewed the program in hopes of winning court approval.
But in September 2023, U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen in Houston said the executive branch had overstepped its authority in creating the program. Hanen barred the government from approving any new applications, but left the program intact for existing recipients, known as “Dreamers,” during appeals.
Defenders of the policy argue that Congress has given the executive branch’s Department of Homeland Security authority to set immigration policy, and that the states challenging the program have no basis to sue.
“They cannot identify any harms flowing from DACA,” Nina Perales, vice president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, said in a news conference this week.
Texas is leading a group of Republican-dominated states challenging the policy. The Texas Attorney General’s Office did not respond to an emailed interview request. But in briefs, they and other challengers claim the states incur hundreds of millions of dollars in health care, education and other costs when immigrants are allowed to remain in the country illegally. The other states include Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, West Virginia, Kansas and Mississippi.
Among those states’ allies in court briefs is the Immigration Reform Law Institute. “Congress has repeatedly refused to legalize DACA recipients, and no administration can take that step in its place,” the group’s executive director, Dale L. Wilcox, said in a statement earlier this year.
The panel hearing the case consists of judges Jerry Smith, nominated to the 5th Circuit by former President Ronald Reagan; Edith Brown Clement, nominated by former President George W. Bush; and Stephen Higginson, nominated by Obama.
veryGood! (536)
Related
- Small twin
- As college football season arrives, schools pay monitors to stop players and staff from gambling
- California store owner fatally shot in dispute over Pride flag; officers kill gunman
- Hollywood studios offer counterproposal to screenwriters in effort to end strike
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- The Russian space agency says its Luna-25 spacecraft has crashed into the moon
- Grand jury decides against charges in police shooting of NJ backhoe driver who damaged homes, cars
- Hollywood studios offer counterproposal to screenwriters in effort to end strike
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- ‘Blue Beetle’ unseats ‘Barbie’ atop box office, ending four-week reign
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Lil Tay is alive, living with her mom after custody, child support battle in Canada
- Aaron Rodgers to make New York Jets debut in preseason finale vs. Giants, per report
- England vs. Spain: Time, odds, how to watch and live stream 2023 World Cup final
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- John Stamos Shares Adorable Video With 5-Year-Old Son Billy on His 60th Birthday
- Saints: Jimmy Graham back with team after stopped by police during ‘medical episode’
- Where is the next FIFA World Cup? What to know about men's, women's tournaments in 2026 and beyond
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Opinion: Corporate ballpark names just don't have that special ring
Navy shipbuilders’ union approves 3-year labor pact at Bath Iron Works
Lil Tay is alive, living with her mom after custody, child support battle in Canada
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Trump says he will skip GOP presidential primary debates
Jack Antonoff Marries Margaret Qualley With Taylor Swift and Other Stars in Attendance
Sweden defeats co-host Australia to take third place at 2023 Women's World Cup